Assistant Project Manager Beijing
Assistant Project Manager Beijing
China excites us, guiding Western companies drives us and the challenge of it all inspires us
In the year 1421, China discovered the world. During the Ming Dynasty Emperor Zhu Di (朱棣) commanded the fleets of Admiral Zheng He (鄭和) to conquer the world. Within two years they discovered Australia, New Zealand, the Americas, Antarctica, the Northeast Passage and circumnavigated Greenland. Through this journey the Chinese conquered the world on paper, because they requested all kings, warlords and tribes to submit to the emperor by signing a piece of paper. They did not wage a war, request taxes or enslave people. This striking difference is at the heart of explaining the difference between the West and China.
1421 Consulting Group is founded by Peter Pronk in 2011 and is aimed at bridging the gap between Western and Chinese partners. We guide Western businesses starting or staying in China with strategic consulting and local operational services (such as: business consultancy, market entry studies, legal support, administration, company registration, quality control services, etc.). Why?
Because China excites us, guiding Western companies drives us and the challenges of it all inspires us.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our Beijing office is located in the centre of China and as such is considered the heart of China. This is where 1421 has been founded in 2011 and where our head office continues to thrive. Currently, 15 people work in this office to support our global work. This team is now looking for an Assistant Project Manager, who can help our company grow. This office supports our other offices and is constantly helping clients create the best value for their business in China.
ABOUT THE CULTURE
We prefer personal contact and building lasting relationships when working with our (potential) clients. We like to think in challenges, not problems and we always want to try and find a solution. We keep an open mind to our clients, our team, China and the world at large. We believe in the strengths of each individual and we always look for ways to combine those strengths to create an even better team. We enjoy working together and we have fun together. We are a family.
ABOUT THE FUNCTION
As the new Assistant Project Manager, you will assist Project Manager and Project Leader on various projects for our clients. In this function you will be responsible for ensuring our clients are satisfied and happy with our work which includes:
- Responsible for planning and managing own projects;
- Supporting consultants with consulting projects;
- Communicating with both Chinese and Western clients;
- Visiting potential partners and/or sites on behalf of foreign clients;
- Assisting with ad hoc (consulting) assignments;
- Reporting directly to clients and 1421 management;
- Researching relevant (China related) information for articles;
- Producing articles for the marketing department.
The Assistant Project Manager will receive support with the day-to-day responsibilities, however we expect you to show a high degree of responsibility for your own work. We are looking for someone with the following qualifications:
- Project management experience;
- Confident personality and result driven;
- Natural written and verbal communication skills;
- A ‘Getting-things-done’ attitude;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ambitious and willing to grow;
- Passionate about China, Chinese business and Chinese culture;
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- For non-Chinese applicants: able to meet the requirements of obtaining a working permit
- For Chinese applicants: relevant experience abroad with western culture
- Speaking, reading and writing Mandarin is necessary for this function;
- The starting date for this function is dependent on when we have found the best possible match, but no later than April 2019.
ABOUT THE APPLICATION
If you feel convinced this job is supposed to be yours, please send us:
- Your motivation letter in English clearly describing your match to China, 1421 and the function
- Your Resumé outlining your experience, education and responsibilities
All applications can be shared with Alexander Pronk before 21 February 2019
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: +31 6 1809 6813
- WeChat: AlexPronk88
In the meantime, feel free to contact Alexander if you have any questions.
Alexander visited China for the first time in 2002 to visit the province where his sister was adopted from. In 2017, Alexander joined the 1421 Consulting Group team as Growth Manager. He helped prepare the team for extra growth by aligning processes and people to a common goal and implementing a structured work method. Furthermore, he became responsible for the ongoing marketing activities. Executing this content strategy is the foundation on which 1421 has experienced growth in the past years.
What happened in the year 1421?
From 1421 to 1423, during the Ming Dynasty of China under Emperor Zhu Di (朱棣) the fleets of Admiral Zheng He (鄭和), commanded by the Chinese captains, discovered Australia, New Zealand, the Americas, Antarctica, the Northeast Passage; and circumnavigated Greenland.
Due to this endeavour we can conclude that “1421 is the year that the Chinese discover the world”.